Trustees are responsible for overseeing all aspects of an organisation’s operation and ensuring that the role and purpose outlined in the Constitution is carried out. They set the direction and purpose of the organisation, oversee the performance of the Chief Executive Officer and his team, oversee finances and agree policies for all aspects of operation.
Trustees at Signpost are also expected to provide support for the team and lead with a facilitative leadership style.
The role is voluntary, with no payment although reasonable out-of-pocket expenses are reimbursed. Trustees should commit at least half a day each month to the organisation and attend monthly meetings for 2-3 hours, usually on a weekday morning.
People with certain criminal records and those under 18 are excluded from being trustees, as well as those with a conflict of interest.
This means that in practice the Trustees:
- Set the direction and purpose of the organisation (the strategy).
- Oversee the performance of the CEO and his team to ensure the strategy is being properly implemented.
- Oversee the finances of the organisation and agree budgets which are designed to achieve the objectives and ensure that funds are spent for the purpose they were given.
- Agree policies for all aspects of operation. This will include working practices, including interaction with clients and staff and their employment policies and salary levels.
- Agree and sign off contracts including commissions, leases, employment contracts and equipment contracts where appropriate.
- Provide support for the CEO and the Signpost team in their work.
Contact me via the form below to begin a discussion to explore whether Trusteeship is right for you. Please ensure the words ‘Signpost Trusteeship’ are in the first line.
Fred Heddell CBE (Chair Signpost)